Looking for more to read? Head over to my new blog, Rebekah Joan!

8.10.13

the beauty of math

This is a slightly odd post that I may or may not disagree with in the morning. Oh, well...Enjoy my little rambling about the alphabet and numbers combined.
Math and I are not good friends. In fact, you could say we're enemies. I want to kill my textbook, and I'm pretty darn sure those numbers try to strangle me every time I attempt an Algebra 2 problem.
But I can't help but admire my enemy. I don't always understand it. Sometimes I'm quite angry with it. On occasion, though, I see this strange beauty flash through. All of the numbers fitting together just right, everything working out perfectly—that's what's beautiful about my enemy.
For a minute, I feel like I can see into something I'm not supposed to. Something amazing. I love and cherish those moments, along with the, "Oh! I get it now!" moments.
I love figuring things out, although it normally takes me ten times more time than it should. But still, it's fun—until it gets frustrating.
Normally, I'm screaming, "Where the HECK did that dang THREE go?!?"
But I must admit (now, after I've finished my math for the day) that those moments of seeing math as beautiful are worth it.

Bekah joan

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Bekah!
    I really do agree with you. Math really can be frustrating, sometimes, but I see what you mean about the beauty part of it too. I also read your post about NaNoWriMo survival, and really liked it. I found it extremely helpful, and I checked out a bunch of the links. I feel so much more prepared for my first NaNoWriMo experience now, thanks to you. I am around the same age as you were when you wrote your first NaNo novel, so I also have to juggle around activities and school into my schedule. I was wondering if maybe you could write a post about how you handled homework, school, activities, and just life in general during the month of November, what you shouldn't do, what you would do differently, and such. If it's not too much trouble. I'm sure I am not the only one who could use a bit of advice from a peer. I don't know if you take requests here, and if you don't I apologize.
    Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found the Guide helpful! And of course I'll do a post on it! It will just take a little bit of time to put together. (And thanks for asking! I'm happy to help!)
      <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...