Looking for more to read? Head over to my new blog, Rebekah Joan!

29.7.14

an excerpt [9]

Not exactly what the ceremony room looks like, but it's cool. via

So. June's excerpt. At the end of July. Awesome, right?
This is the ceremony that takes place when my three main characters of The Three Worlds become a team. They are not getting married. Promise. 
. . . .
   The ceremony room is as dark as I remember, the only light originating from the torches on the walls. Josh and I step forward, and then I take Alexa’s hand and tug her forward. She stumbles, her eyes fixed on the wall painting of an older man with eyes that pierce the soul.
   “The Magician,” I whisper.
   We step forward onto a platform, and a man in a dark purple robe steps in front of us. The hood covers his face. He opens an ancient book and says, “Alexa Harrell, Andrew Harris, and Joshua Pettis, do you pledge your allegiance and loyalty to the Magician and the Association, to protect and assist, for as long as is possible?”
   “I do,” Josh and I say together. Then Alexa glances at both of us and adds a quick, “Yes.”
   “Do you promise to stay loyal to each other, your team members, as you battle evil and struggle through hardships?”
   “I do,” we all say.
   “Will you follow the Magician’s teachings and stay true to His word, showing the lost the truth through your actions?”
   “I do.”
   A gold ring appears in front of Alexa, floating. The fire glints off of it.
   “Then we plead with the Magician that you will not stray from Him or from each other.”

   Josh and I both slide the ring onto Alexa’s slender finger.
. . . .

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

Bekah Joan

14 comments:

  1. Love it! <3 I like how it sounds like they're getting married, but that's not what's happening. If that makes sense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! Yeah, it does make sense. It adds a cool effect. :)

      Delete
  2. While reading this, my brain just kept going off with, "Marriage, marriage!" I think it's a neat effect. :P

    And I've got a question. Is the Magician a sort of metaphor (maybe that's not the right word, I don't know) for God?

    I can't wait to see what happens!! Do they stay loyal to each other? Or maybe I shouldn't ask...*wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun to add. :)
      The Magician IS kind of like a metaphor for God. Although I'm not sure that's exactly the correct word, either. More like. . . a metaphoric parallel to God.
      As for what happens, you'll see. ;)

      Delete
    2. Ahh, yeah, that's the word. xD

      Shoot. ;) That's okay, though. You need to get this Three Worlds Series published, I'm tellin' ya.

      Delete
    3. Yes, yes, I know. I'm working on it. I promise. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey! This is really good. But it bothers me...the magician sounds like God, when NO ONE can compare to God. ?
    Just...I thought...I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. In this story, He IS God. I just renamed Him because they're magicians, and He's. . . like. . . THE Magician. :)

      Delete
    2. Ohhh...now I get it! Now it's just plain awesome. :P sorry.

      Delete
    3. Haha, you're fine. I'm glad you think it's awesome. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice! I love the idea you're using there with God/Christ being the Magician! Kinda reminds me of Aslan and the undertones there. :D The other people who have commented mentioned how they thought of marriage at first, but that wasn't what was going on. The ceremony /does/ sound like it, I agree, but I got to thinking... Is it similar with how the Bible talks about Christ and His bride, the Church (which would all Christians)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, yes. :) But this is more about the three of them committing to each other as a team, so it kind of is like a marriage ceremony. But the magicians who have followed the Magician would be the parallel to the Church. So, yes. :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...