Looking for more to read? Head over to my new blog, Rebekah Joan!

6.9.14

an excerpt [10]


From The Dixon Project. Enjoy.
. . . .
    Halfway through class, Amber slid into her left split next to Jeremy.
   “Have you heard from Alyssa?” Jeremy asked. “In the news, there was something about a shooting right in front of her house with two teenage girls. You walked home with her last night, right?”
   Amber’s stomach dropped. He doesn’t know. “I…Yes, I was with her.”
   “It wasn’t you two, was it?” Jeremy’s face had gone pale. “She’s okay, right?”
   “She’ll be fine. She got shot in the left arm. No bone damage.” Amber shifted, eyeing the floor.
   “You—you were the other girl? Are you all right?”
   “Obviously.”
   “Is she still in the hospital? Did she go to the hospital? She went, didn't she?"
   “I don’t know. I haven’t talked to her at all.” Amber leaned forward, resting her head on her shin. “School has been difficult.”
   “But you’re homeschooled. How much school do you actually have to do?”
   “Enough to practically strangle me,” she growled.
   Dara walked in then, wearing a black leotard with crisscrossed straps in the back. She sat down with caution next to Amber and pulled on her shoes, silent shaky.
   “You all right, Dara?” Amber asked.
   Dara hesitated but nodded. “Fine.” She picked at a loose thread on her flats. “Just tired. How are you? I heard what happened last night.”
   Amber narrowed her eyes. If Jeremy didn’t know, how did Dara find out? “How did you know?” She switched to her other split.
   Dara’s eyes widened while her fingers tightened around the thread. “I—well, um… Madame Faylinn told me.” She shrugged, managing a smile.
   “Oh,” Amber said. Sure, she thought.
. . . .
And that's that. Did you like?
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

Bekah Joan

6 comments:

  1. ooooh! this intrigues me!! would love to see more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, nice work! :)
    I hope I'll be able to read the whole story, one of these days. These excerpts are intriguing... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the setting in this scene! Ballet is my realm and it made the excerpt especially interesting for me.

    And thank you for standing up for homeschoolers! xD Our schoolwork kills us just as much as it does the next person.

    And dang, I can't wait to find out about Dara and Jeremy and Amber...From following your Pinterest boards I think I would really like Amber. ;)

    By the way, my latest emails did get to you, didn't they? I hope they sent...grrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzie! :) I thought you would like it.
      Yes. You'd love Amber, I think.
      OHMYGOSH. EMAILS. AHHHHHH. I haven't replied to any emails in a very, very, veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy long time. I am so sorry. I'll go reply now. :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...